Essentials of Privacy Law Training
Australia has some of the world’s most highly developed laws in the area of protecting individuals’ personal information. Obligations are primarily defined in a set of Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) that are contained in the Privacy Act. The important legal implications of this legislation apply to many operational aspects of a wide variety of organisations. This Essentials of Privacy Law online compliance training module explains the Australian Privacy Principles with practical examples to help staff understand their obligations and how they can comply with the law in their everyday work practices. Consequences for breaching privacy law can be significant, so everyone should understand their responsibilities.
What the course covers
The Essentials of Privacy Law course covers the following major subject areas:
- An introduction to the Privacy Act
- The 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs)
- The legal framework supporting privacy law
- Personal information that is covered
- Understanding ‘sensitive information’
- Special obligations for sensitive information
- Requirements when dealing with information
- Considerations for collecting personal information
- Laws relating to disclosure and use of information
- Obligations when storing personal information
- The responsibility to maintain information
- Individuals’ rights regarding access and correction
Course structure and delivery
This course is delivered as an online self-paced training module. The module consists of 52 screens of content followed by an assessment of 8 randomised questions. Participants must answer all questions correctly in order to complete the course, and may review content and reattempt the assessment until it has been passed.
Most people will complete the course in 35-45 minutes. After completion, a personalised certificate can be printed.
About our Essentials series of courses
MCQ International offers a Comprehensive series and an Essentials series of courses. The Essentials series is ideal for general staff who require compliance training without investing too much time. Essentials courses can usually be completed in around 30 minutes, while our Comprehensive courses may take up to 120 minutes. For personnel who require a higher level of training (e.g. supervisors or at-risk groups) the Comprehensive series may be more suitable.
Additional unique tools and features
MCQ International’s compliance courses are supported by the flexible and powerful Ensignia® OCLMS platform. The course content also includes many unique features and customisation options that no other vendor can match.